BROWNLEE, Herbert JohnBorn:
He appears to have trained in New Zealand being articled to C J Bolstead of New Zealand and working as an assistant in Wanganui and elsewhere in New Zealand thereafter. He commenced independent practice in Gisborne, New Zealand in 1905 but appears to have moved to London by 1912, when he was admitted ARIBA. He later moved to South Africa, where he was practising at 148 St George's Street, Cape Town in the 1930s, having been admitted FRIBA in 1926. Was in partnership with J PERRY around 1927. (cf PERRY & BROWNLEE). In 1923 he represented the Cape Institute of Architects at the Conference on Architectural Education held in Durban.
In 1921 he became closely associated with the classes organized by Groves, an association which was formalized the next year with the establishment of the Cape School of Architecture, which was then part of the Michaelis School of Fine Art, with BROWNLEE as Principal, assisted by Groves, who retained his position as Principal of the Cape Town School of Art.
In 1939 he entered into a partnership with WW DARROLL (cf BROWNLEE & DARROLL). The partnership appears to have lasted until about 1941.
There is also a listing of this practitioner on the Dictionary of Scottish Architects.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.