Also referred to as DAWSON-PEARCE, Henley.
Pearce was born and educated in Norwich, England. He was the son of the architect JB Pearce, FRIBA, of Norwich, to whom J PENDER-WEST was articled. After leaving school in 1891, Pearce spent a year in his father's office before being apprenticed to Cornish & Gaymen, ecclesiastical contractors in North Walsham, Norfolk, so as to 'gain insight into the building trade' (LRIBA nom papers 1911). He returned to his father's office in 1895 where he seems to have remained until he left for South Africa in 1897, coming to East London where he worked as an assistant to J FORT for three years. He set up independent practice in 1900 in East London. In his papers for Licentiate membership of the RIBA (1911) he said that until 1908 the business was carried out under the style of PEARCE & PEARCE, and, since no evidence of the other Pearce in this partnership has yet been found, it has been assumed that he was in partnership with his father in England. The partnership Pearce & Pearce was listed at an address in Terminus St, East London in 1906. In about 1906 Pearce represented MILNE & SLADDIN on work on Lloyd's Building in East London. He became a member of the ISAA in 1927 and continued to practice there until he retired in 1934, resigning from the ISAA.
A directory of 1937 lists Dawson-Pearce, H., Architect, and provides his residential address as 2 Buller Street, Cambridge, East London.
(East London Red Book 1904, 1906; East London & Frontier Red Book 1937:150; ISAA mem list; LRIBA nom papers (1911); SAWW 1916)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing PEARCE