LEWIS, John (Colonel)Born: 1784
Lewis was Commanding Officer of the ROYAL ENGINEERS at the Cape around 1839, and was responsible for several early buildings in Cape Town: he designed the first buildings of the South African College with J ADAMSON in 1841 and Woodstock Military Hospital. Radford notes that the College was built in the Egyptian style, one of only two buildings in the country in this style (Radford 1979:210). The Military Hospital, Georgian in style, was among the first hospital buildings in the country, it was considered unsuccessful due to its poor drainage and lack of cross-ventilation. Before he left in 1843, he sold a number of architectural books in Cape Town.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing LEWIS