WILSON, John GoddardBorn: ?
Trained in England, an articled pupil to Sir Aston Webb in London from 1899 to 1902. He left, probably on the recommendation of Webb who seems to have channelled several young architects into Colonial/Public Service, to work in South Africa as an architectural draughtsman with the PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT in Pretoria. He remained in the Pretoria Office until he transferred to Cape Town in 1919, becoming Assistant in Cape Town. In 1921 he was appointed first grade assistant architect in the PWD. According to Wilson's FRIBA nomination papers (1925), among his duties at the PWD were the execution of the design and supervision of the Commercial High School, Jeppe Girls' High School and the new block for the Johannesburg Hospital, all in Johannesburg. He prepared the sketch elevations for the following buildings: Bloemfontein Telephone Exchange; the above-mentioned Commercial High School and Jeppe Girls' High School; Grey's Hospital Ward Block, Pietermaritzburg; Germiston Police Barracks; Bloemfontein Mental Hospital (female villa); Eunice High School Hostel, Bloemfontein; Pretoria School (West Central Afrikaans Medium); Heidelberg Normal College Hostel and Hatfield School, Pretoria. Wilson resigned from the Institute of South African Architects in 1930.
ARIBA 1923; FRIBA 1925; ISAA 1927. (FRIBA nom papers (1925); ISAA mem list; RIBA Jnl 1932/3:600 obit; SAAR Sep 1926:84-6; UTD 1915)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing WILSON