Also sometimes referred to as INGRESS-WATSON, Henry Arthur. Also found as Hendry (sic, 1965)
TPIA (1927); ISAA (1927); OFS PIA (by 1959); AIAA; MIA..
Was born in Wynberg in the Cape, son of James Arthur Watson. His parent's move to Pretoria meant that he received his education at Pretoria Boys' High School. In 1921 he entered the South African Engineering Corps with which he remained until 1925. According to the entry in Wie is wie in Pretoria (1952), Watson studied architecture in South Africa and in London, although it is not state that he studied architecture in London. No dates are given for these study years. It is possible that he undertook some draughting courses while in the Engineering Corps. By 1926 he had left the Engineering Corps and was working in the office of GLP MOERDYK. For about twelve years Watson carried out a great deal of work for Moerdyk, often the only assistant in his office. He was involved with design work and execution of drawings for Libertas in Pretoria, the Prime Minister's official residence. In 1938 Watson entered into partnership with Moerdyk (cf. MOERDYK & WATSON) and helped design the Voortrekker Monument in Pretoria. By 1952 Watson was a director of the Saambou Bouvereniging.
Was a recipient of the Medal of Honour for Architecture and Sculpture by the SA Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns in 1963.
By 1965 he was principal in the architectural partnership WATSON, PEISER, GROBBELAAR, MEYER & GALLAGHER, which, by 1967, had changed its style to WATSON, PEISER & GROBBELAAR. By 1969 he had retired and his address was Plettenberg Bay. He was elected a member of the Suid-Afrikanse Akademie vir Wetenskap en Kuns (South African Academy for Literature and Science) in 1979.
On 1957 03 30 he married Aletta Maria Williams.
(ISAA mem list; WW in Pta 1952)
Books citing WATSON