WARREN, Alfred GeorgeBorn: fl. 1855
Advertised as architect, surveyor, road and drainage supervisor in Uitenhage in 1855. By 1857 he was listed as living in Port Elizabeth where he was either already, or soon became, engineer to the Harbour Board in Port Elizabeth. He continued to work in Uitenhage where in 1862 he designed a house for which tenders were called in that year. Warren was awarded second premium for his design for the Dutch Reformed Church in Cradock (c1861). In 1859 he prepared the plans for the lighthouse on the Donkin Reserve and designed the Custom House, corner of Market Square and Fleming Street, the foundation stone of which was laid on 22 March 1865. According to Heroldt (1988) Warren advertised for an assistant to help in his civil engineering and architectural practice which he described as large in 1864. He resigned from his post as Harbour Board Engineer in February 1866 and returned to England.
(Craddock Register 24 Jul 1863; Harradine, 1985; Heroldt 1988; Schoeman 1986)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.