The partnership from 1897 until 1910 between Spencer WATERS and JC TULLY which started in Cape Town. Tully and Waters were concerned with architectural education; they set up student competitions, an already popular feature in professional training in Britain since the successful entry won the competitor some recognition; the subject of one such competition set by them in 1906 was for a 'Garden village near a colonial city' and was reviewed in the South African Architect, Engineers' and Surveyors' Journal (Sep 1906:178-79).
The firm entered many competitions with some success. They gained second premium in the competitions for St Luke's Church, Salt River near Cape Town, and for Kroonstad Town Hall and came third in the Cape Town Pier competition. Denis SANTRY was a pupil in their Cape Town office.
In 1908 they won the competition for the Johannesburg Abattoirs and Waters seems to have moved to Johannesburg as a result, although there is some doubt whether the Municipality used their plans. It is not certain whether the firm had an office in Cape Town late in 1908 as someone requested that the 1908 competition regulations for the new Post Office in Pretoria be sent c/o a hardware store in Cape Town for collection by Tully, Waters, Cleland & Pentland-Smith.
The partnership between Tully & Waters seems to have ended in about 1910 after they won the competition for the Natal University College.
(Afr Archt Sep 1912:60, 61; Hillebrand 1896; HSRC, Cleland Papers; Ntl Witness 17 March 1910; LRIBA nom papers WATERS 1910; Picton-Seymour 1977; TAD PWD 1229/3235; Rennie 1983; SAAE&S Jnl Jul 1906:146, 147; SAA&B Apr 1904:115)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.