STREET-WILSON and BARREstablished: 1888
The partnership in Durban between William STREET-WILSON and Percy BARR from 1888 until December 1893 when Barr died. The firm was described by the Colonial Secretary of the time as being the best firm in the Colony (Kearney 1973:55); the partnership's best known buildings were both in Pietermaritzburg, the first Town Hall (1889-1893) and the Railway Station (completed in 1892). The Railway Station is characteristic of Street-Wilson's style; it seems that the Town Hall appears to have been more characteristic of Barr than Street-Wilson.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing STREET-WILSON and BARR
|Hillebrand, Melanie. 1975. Aspects of architecture in Natal, 1880 1914. Pietermaritzburg: Unpublished MA. Dept Fine Art and History of Art, University of Natal. pp 157-158|
|Kearney, Brian. 1973. Architecture in Natal from 1824 1893. Cape Town: Balkema. pp |
|Kesting, DP. 1978. Afrikaans Protestantse kerkbou : erfenis en uitdaging. Port Elizabeth: Unpublished PhD. pp |
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pp |