SIMPSON, Bernard ArthurBorn: 1908 09 26
Died: 1971 12
Reg No: 605
Year registered: 1935
MIA, ARIBA (1935); , TPIA (1935).
Born in Walmer, Port Elizabeth, son of Arthur Andrew Simpson. He was educated Grey High School, Port Elizabeth. He was articled in Port Elizabeth to SMITH, SONS & DEWAR for five years from May 1926 until April 1931. On completion of articles he remained in this office for three years until June 1934. While he was doing his articles and employed by SMITH, SONS and DEWAR he also extended his architectural studies by attending lectures in various subjects at the Technical College 'under J GARDNER, ARCA; HH McWILLIAMS, ARIBA, and Miss GH SIEMERINK, B Arch' (ARIBA nom papers 1935) from 1926 to June 1934. In July 1934 he left for Johannesburg where he was assistant to WC VON BERG. He also studied design at the University of the Witwatersrand until November 1934. Simpson was elected an Associate member of the RIBA in 1935 while in Johannesburg; when he registered with the Institute of South African Architects he was resident in Port Elizabeth. He married Ethel Gwendolyn Croft on 1937 05 08 by whom he had two sons and a daughter. At about this time he set up in private practice. His first known building was the Eastern Province Building Society building in Port Elizabeth, 1939. In WW2 he served as Captain with the SA Engineering Corps in the Middle East, Cyprus, and Italy mentioned in Dispatches and receiving the Commander-in-Chief's Commendation. By 1959 he had been joined by PW HEUGH in the partnership SIMPSON & HEUGH which by 1969 had become SIMPSON, HEUGH & ROBERTSON after GG ROBERTSON joined as partner.
(ARIBA nom papers (1935) 5754; ISAA mem list; SAAR Jul 1935:230)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing SIMPSON