ROBERTSON, Robert MacBethBorn: 1871 06 20
Year registered: 1927
List of Structures
Was born in Cheltenham, England and served his indentures with AB Crombie, FRIBA, Dumfries, before going to Manchester where he worked for Solomon & Steinthal. He arrived in South Africa in April 1888 aged seventeen and was first employed by C DUNSCOMBE in Cape Town on the drainage plans for Cape Town and suburbs. He joined the Railway Engineering staff in Cape Town before entering George RANSOME's office in 1890 where he remained until 1896 when he won the competition for Stellenbosch Boys' High School in association with FW HESSE and set up practice on his own account in Stellenbosch. An account of his career is given in the note 'Contemporary Architects' (SAA&B May 1905:157-8). His designs were for the most part classical in the Edwardian manner, examples of these are the Theological College at Stellenbosch, which he designed before 1905, and the graceful gabled and pilastered building in Free Renaissance style for EK Green in Cape Town (pre-1905). Around 1906/1908 he left Cape Town for the Transvaal (Gauteng) where he was resident in Benoni by 1909 and a member of the Association of Transvaal Architects. By 1918 the ATA advertised for Robertson's current address, along with twelve others; Robertson was still in the Transvaal where he worked for the rest of his career of which currently nothing is known and as yet no buildings by him have been recorded from this period. He married Emma O'Grady in 1894.
SASA 1902; ISAA 1927. (ISAA mem list; SAA&B May 1905:157-8; SAWW 1909; UTD 1909, 1915)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.