REID and GREENEstablished: 1895
The partnership between HA REID and FG GREEN in Johannesburg and Cape Town, between circa 1895 and circa 1905. Green appears to have been in charge of the Cape Town office during the construction of the Cape Town City Hall (1895-1905, foundation stone 1900), which commission had been won in an open competition with 168 competitors, both partners were involved in its construction but Reid thought his role in the execution of the building had been over-looked (see H REID). Reid was apparently away campaigning and Green had been on a visit to Australia while the job was in progress. Reid & Green also won the competition for the Cape Town Fever Hospital (Hospital for Infectious Diseases) in 1895, but the Cape Town City Hall was the last building to be completed by the partners.
(AB&E Jul 1936:30; Longlands Tvl & Rhod dir 1903; Picton-Seymour 1977; Radford 1979; Rennie 1983; SAA&B Jan 1905:78-9; SAA&B Feb 1905:94; SAA&B Jul 1905:200-2)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.