REID, AH and WEstablished: 1897
The partnership between Arthur Henry REID and Walter REID in Johannesburg and Cape Town, from about 1897 until about 1921 (?). HS EAST was admitted to the partnership in January 1905 in Cape Town and this branch became known as AH & W REID & EAST (cf REID, AH & W & EAST). AH & W Reid submitted a design for the competition for the National Bank of South Africa head office in Johannesburg in 1905, which they won. In about 1919 the firm were successful in several competitions.
(Afr Archt Oct 1912: v; Edward's dir of SA 1924; Frescura 1988; Juta's dir of CT 1901; SAA&B Apr 1905: 144, 145 ill; SAWW 1910; The Star 27.7.1984)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing REID, AH and W
|Brown, SM. 1969. Architects and others: an annotated list of people of South African interest appearing in the RIBA Journal 1880 1925. Johannesburg: Unpublished dissertation, University of the Witwatersrand. pp |
|Gutsche, Thelma. 1966. No Ordinary Woman: The life and times of Florence Phillips. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp |
|Middleton, GAT. 1907. Modern Buildings, their planning, construction and equipment. vols 1-7. 1907-10. London: Caxton. pp |
|Pearse, Geoffrey Eastcott. 1960. Eighteenth century furniture in South Africa. Pretoria: Van Schaik. pp |
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1977. Victorian Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: AA Balkema. pp 57, 102, 115, 129, 220, 223, 231, 232, 344, 370, 371|
|van der Waal, Gerhard-Mark. 1987. From Mining Camp to Metropolis - The buildings of Johannesburg 1886-1940. Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council. pp 73, 79, 88|