BLACK and FAGGEstablished: 1904
This was a partnership between W BLACK, H BLACK and WG FAGG from 1904 in Cape Town. By September 1905 the firm had moved into their new premises in the recently completed Mutual Life Insurance Co of New York Building. WG Fagg was assistant to W Black for nearly ten years before being admitted to partnership. Herbert Black, admitted to the partnership in the same year, seems to have gone his own way a few years later. After Black's death in 1922, Fagg carried on the practice as Black & Fagg. In 1929 the firm was awarded the first of the CPIA/Argus Bronze Medals for their work on the Standard Bank on the corner of Adderley and St George's Streets in Cape Town. The practice was a flourishing concern and one of the most prolific in Cape Town.
(Cape Times dir 1940; Cumming-George 1933; Johnson 1979; Johnson 1987; Picton-Seymour 1977; Rennie 1978; Restorica Jul 1982:6; SAA&B Mar 1904: 101; Oberholster 1982)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.