His training and background is obscure. He worked in Port Elizabeth from at least 1927 when he registered with the Institute of South African Architects, associated with SMITH, SON & DEWAR for many years. He and ID MacGILLIVRAY continued to run the practice after GO SMITH retired in 1936. Not much work has been attributed to Pullen; MacGillivray left the firm a few years later, around 1938, and Pullen remained in the office, apparently running it, although the ISAA Yearbook (1938/39) listed him as a salaried member; he was again listed as a salaried member of the firm in the ISAA Yearbook 1939/40. By 1954 Pullen was listed as a practising member of the ISAA. By 1969 he had moved to Knysna.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
|House GA Upton: 1939. Walmer, Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth), Eastern Cape - Architect |
|House Schoeman - Farm Jakkalsfontein: 1937. Cradock, Eastern Cape - Design Architect |
|Newspaper House: 1902 : 1952. Gqeberha (Port Elizabeth), Eastern Cape - Architect 1952 |
|Shops/stores Teikamdas Bros: 1939. Central, Cape Town, Western Cape - Architect |