POWELL and SONEstablished: 1897/8
The partnership between WH POWELL and WH POWELL (Jnr) in Durban from about 1897/8 until 1900. On the death of his father in 1900, WH Powell (Jnr) continued to run the firm under the same name until 1903 when he appears to have left the country. WH Powell (Jnr) completed the Colonial Offices Building, Pietermaritzburg (1898-1901). The foundation stone gives Powell & Son as the architects.
(Greig 1971; Hillebrand 1975; UNSAL)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
List of projects With photographs
|Bazaar, nos: 1903. Durban, KwaZulu-Natal - Architect |
|Colonial Offices: 1895-1901. Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal - Architect |
|Mosque, add: 1903. Durban, KwaZulu-Natal - Architect |
|Shop cum rooms for Mosque committee (Bazaar): 1903. Durban, KwaZulu-Natal - Architect |
|Shops, flats Isaa Hajee Soomar: 1900. Durban, KwaZulu-Natal - Architect |