PARKER and FORSYTHEstablished: 1905
The partnership between J PARKER and A FORSYTH in Cape Town; Forsyth joined Parker as an assistant in 1898 and was admitted to partnership in about 1905. The firm was officially known as Parker & Forsyth only from the beginning of 1905. The title remained thus until after Parker's death in 1921, it became Forsyth & Parker (cf FORSYTH & PARKER) in about 1923 when the firm was joined by Parker's son, JK PARKER. Forsyth was closely involved with the design work in the office, in 1905 he said that he had been concerned in all the major schemes of the last seven years, including Garlick's Building.
(Parker, Staniforth & Bieldt Gift, UCT Libr BC 729; Picton-Seymour 1977; SAA&B Feb 1905:103; SAA&B Mar 1905:122; Rennie 1978a, 1978b, 1983)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing PARKER and FORSYTH
|Parker, Howard. 2015. John Parker, 1866-1921 : architect and mayor of Cape Town. Wellington, New Zealand: Howard Parker. pp 25|
|Rennie, John for CPIA. 1978. The Buildings of Central Cape Town 1978. Volume Two : Catalogue. Cape Town: Cape Provincial Institute of Architects. pp 89 item 49.70|
|Walker, Michael. 2010. A Statement In Stone. Cape Town: Privately published by Michael Walker. pp 57-60|
|Walker, Michael. 2015. Old hotels of Cape Town (1890-1911), The : A history long forgotten, seldom told. St James: Published Privately. pp 4, 52, 61, 69, 72-74|