Has sometimes been spelt ASMOND.
Currently it is not known where nor with whom OSMOND trained as an architect. He registered as a member of the Institute of South African Architects and as a member of the Transvaal Provincial Institute of Architects in 1927; from 1930 he seems to have worked mainly in Port Elizabeth where his address from that date was c/o SIEMERINK, WALKER & LANE. He entered into partnership with CG LANE in East London in 1936 (cf. LANE & OSMOND), which later, when joined by Barry LANGE, became OSMOND LANGE of East London.
W P Osmond was in the employ of the PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT of the Union of South Africa in September 1927 when he prepared a detailed sketch site plan (under the direction of J S CLELAND - the Chief Architect) titled PORT ELIZABETH HOSPITAL ADDITIONS AND RENOVATIONS. The large pen and ink drawing, on linen,was titled in large Roman letters in black ink with a broad brown perimeter border.
The drawing describes the overall extent of the site, the positions of the existing and proposed buildings, the extent of the alterations to existing buildings, the proposed road and footpath layout and the suggested planting. The Admin Block, Mortuary, White Female Patients, White Male Patients, Operating Block and Doctor's House were to remain unchanged. The proposed new buildings comprised a Native and Coloured Hospital (with double storey Operating Block), Native Quarters, and Maternity Block. Additions were proposed to the Kitchen, Laundry and Coloured Patients. Some of the existing buildings were to be converted for new uses, namely the existing European Male Attendants Quarters was to become the Outpatients Section and the existing Isolation Wards were to be converted into the Male European Attendant's Quarters.
The Site Plan is unusual in that plans of each of the new, the altered and the converted buildings were pasted onto the site plan to provide the necessary detailed information. The existing buildings were only indicated in outline.
(Reference: Cape Archives Depot, MAP M4/71, Plan of additions and alterations, Port Elizabeth Hospital, 1927.)
Was the President of the East London Local Committee of the Cape Province Institute of The Institute of South African Architects (Now BKIA) in 1949.
The following is the obituary to OSMOND in The Daily Dispatch of East London 1985 06 19.
"Former mayor of EL dies
EAST LONDON — A former Mayor of East London and past president of the East London Chamber of Commerce, Mr Bokkie Osmond, has died here, aged 78.
A long-serving member of the city council, Mr Osmond was deputy mayor from 1957 to 1959 and served as mayor from 1959 to 1961.
He served two terms as president of the East London Chamber of Commerce and was a member of the executive committee of the Association of Chambers of Commerce (Assocom).
Mr Osmond also served on the Border Regional Development Association.
His service to the community also extended to swimming, and he was a past-president of the Border Amateur Swimming Association in the 1970s.
A highlight of his professional career came when he was conferred life membership of the South African Institute of Architects.
During World War II, Mr Osmond served in Egypt and Italy as an intelligence officer interpreting aerial photographs."
This obituary and the photographs were sent to us by William MARTINSON.
Books citing OSMOND