MOFFAT and HIRSTEstablished: 1934
WG MOFFAT and W HIRST entered into partnership in about 1934 and practised in Durban until 1944. They won the competition for the Government Offices and Magistrate's Court in Pietermaritzburg in 1934 and were responsible for the Reserve Bank Buildings in both Durban and Pietermaritzburg. 'In Durban at this time there is almost nothing to note. A few adventurous industrial buildings, with interesting structures, Moffat & Hurst's [sic] paint factory' (Herbert 1975:153).
(AB&E Apr 1934:25; PWSA Dec 1939:20-1; SAAR Apr 1934:25, 115)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing MOFFAT and HIRST
|Herbert, Gilbert. 1975. Martienssen & the international style: The modern movement in South African architecture. Cape Town - Rotterdam: AA Balkema. pp 153|
|Hillebrand, Melanie. 1986. Art and architecture in Natal, 1910 1940. Pietermaritzburg: Unpublished Ph.D. Dept Fine Art and History of Art, University of Natal. pp |