MILNE and SLADDINEstablished: 1899
This was a partnership in Cape Town between GG MILNE (?) and TA SLADDIN from about 1899. The best-known building of the firm's first years was the Huguenot Memorial Building in Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town. Milne left the partnership before 1910 since in 1910 FRE SLADDIN mentioned in his LRIBA nomination papers that in 1910 he was sole partner in the firm in Cape Town. In October 1906 the same journal illustrated the Bank of Africa Building in St George's Street in Cape Town, a competition which was adjudicated by the English architect Reginald Blomfield and won by Milne & Sladdin in spite of entries by Herbert BAKER, who came second, William BLACK, placed third, and others such as PARKER & FORSYTH and STUCKE & HARRISON.
The last building currently recorded by the firm was the Bank of Africa Building on Church Square in Pretoria (1910), a classical styled building reminiscent of English Palladian architecture.
After the death of FRE Sladdin in 1915 the firm was no longer listed in the Cape Town directories. The work of the firm was listed by TA Sladdin in his Fellowship nomination papers (1905). FRE Sladdin noted in 1912 that during the partnership TA Sladdin had been the responsible architect.
(Dunston 1975; Johnson 1979; Picton-Seymour 1977; SAA&B Feb 1905:103; SAA&B May 1905:155-6; SAAE&S Jnl Feb 1906:71; SAAE&S Jnl Oct 1906:4)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing MILNE and SLADDIN