EWN Mallows was appointed the first Professor of Town and Regional Planning at the University of the Witwatersrand in 1964. Mallows was born in Biddenham, near Bedford, England. His father was the architect CE Mallows (1864-1915) who, among other fine houses, designed one for Cecil Rhodes at Bishop's Stortford in Hertfordshire, England. EWN was educated at Bedford School from 1916 to 1924 and at Queen's College, Cambridge, from 1924 to 1927. He graduated with first class History Tripos (1926) and second class English Tripos (1927) and proceeded to the Architectural Association in London to study Architecture, studying there in 1927, 1930, 1932 and 1934; he was awarded the Howard Colls Student Scholarship by the RIBA in 1928. On receiving his Diploma in Architecture from the AA in 1935, he worked with a research team for two years (1935-1936) doing post-graduate research on European Housing, the results of which were published in 1937 by the Building Centre. In 1936 he was assistant to PJB Harland before becoming chief assistant to the Tecton Group, London where he stayed from 1937 to 1939.
Mallows arrived in South Africa in 1939 and began practice in Pretoria. Shortly after the outbreak of the Second World War he enlisted and served in the intelligence branch of the South African Air Force in East and North Africa and in Italy. Following the war he participated in a course at the School of Planning and Research for Regional Reconstruction, London, a demobilisation course for ex-service candidates only (1945-1946) from which he received a School of Planning Diploma in 1946.
He returned to South Africa and private practice in Pretoria in partnership with Alan MEADLEY, the partnership lasting from 1946 until 1966, and became a lecturer at the School of Architecture, University of the Witwatersrand in 1950. He was appointed senior lecturer in 1957 and professor, occupying the newly established chair of Town and Regional Planning, in 1964.
The following buildings are listed by him in his Fellowship papers, 1958 and date from between 1948 and 1956: housing scheme at Benoni for the National Housing Commission; housing scheme at Springs for the National Housing Commission; Hamilton House, Bureau Lane, Pretoria, first and second stages; Faculty building, Onderstepoort for Public Works Department; Office and canteen building at glass factory for Messrs Pilkington, Springs; hall and classroom, Helpmekaar Boys' High School in Johannesburg for the TPA; housing scheme for Harmony Gold Mine, OFS; recreation hall, Harmony Gold Mine, OFS; holiday centre, St Michael's on Sea, Natal for the National War Memorial Health Foundation; clinics, health centres etc for National War Memorial Health Foundation in the Johannesburg area; completion of St Alban's (Anglican) Cathedral, Pretoria.
His son ADN MALLOWS also became an architect.
President MSAITP 1961; President SA Geog Soc 1967 (Jubilee Year); MA (Cantab); Dip AA; MTPIA; ARIBA 1937; ISAA 1939; FRIBA 1958; mem SA Geog Soc; MSAITP. (Mallows 1987; ISAA mem list; RIBA biog file; SAAR Dec 1964:1; Who's Who in Arch 1983:113)
Publ: European housing 1920-1930, Bldg Centre 1936; Leptis Magna, SAAR 1944 (check date); Lubetkin and Tecton in the 1930's, Arch SA May/Jun 1987:28-30
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Articles by MALLOWS
|Mallows, E.W.N. 1962. Western Native Township. For Us 4-5, 10|
Books citing MALLOWS
|Chipkin, Clive M. 2008. Johannesburg Transition - Architecture & Society 1950 - 2000. Johannesburg: STE Publishers. pp 146, 149-50, 154-5, 160, 163, 259, 269, 271|
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp 154, 159, 161|
|Greig, Doreen. 1970. Herbert Baker in South Africa. Cape Town: PURNELL. pp 164|