LOUW and MOERDYKEstablished: 1920
The partnership between WH LOUW and GLP MOERDYK from 1920 until around 1927 when the partnership was dissolved by mutual consent (Moerdyk's opinion on obtaining the important commission for the Dutch Reformed Church in Pretoria East was that he did not want to share the work as he did not think this worked very well.) In about 1925 HJ LOUW opened an office for them in Bloemfontein. The few buildings which belonged to the partnership of Louw & Moerdyk became the province of one or other partner on the dissolution of the partnership, hence on this site some buildings are listed under the partnership and also under the eventual designer and executor of the work. Most of the shared church buildings are detectable as the work of either Moerdyk or Louw on an increasingly inter-competitive basis, the church buildings at Kestell (c1927/8) (clearly a Moerdyk building belonging to the partnership period) and nearby Bethlehem (1930) by Louw provide interesting examples of the competing styles.
(Building Dec 1923:134; CPIA Ms cf HJ Louw; Huisgenoot 16 Aug 1963:18-21; Moerdyk papers, HSRC doc)
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing LOUW and MOERDYK
|Greig, Doreen. 1971. A Guide to Architecture in South Africa. Cape Town: Howard Timmins. pp |
|Hillebrand, Melanie. 1986. Art and architecture in Natal, 1910 1940. Pietermaritzburg: Unpublished Ph.D. Dept Fine Art and History of Art, University of Natal. pp |
|Kesting, DP. 1978. Afrikaans Protestantse kerkbou : erfenis en uitdaging. Port Elizabeth: Unpublished PhD. pp |