LOUW and LOUWEstablished: 1928
The partnership between WH LOUW and HJ LOUW in Paarl and Cape Town from about 1928. Among their buildings was the SANLAM building, Cape Town, described by the Architect, Builder and Engineer (Nov 1932:3) as an ambitious building and an example of 'modernistic architecture'. In collaboration with Norman EATON & FAIR they designed the SANTAM building in Pretoria in 1941, now demolished, and were the architects of most of the university buildings at Stellenbosch: Dagbreek (John Murray House) in Stellenbosch, the SANLAM building and the South African Mutual (Old Mutual) Building in Cape Town; the KWV headquarters and the Strooidak church hall and Dutch Reformed Church building in Paarl were listed in WH Louw's obituary in The Cape Argus (12.8.1967). There were innovations: Cumming-George (1934:98) noted that the Dutch Reformed Church at Bethlehem (1927/1930) was among the first Dutch Reformed Church buildings to have the tower incorporated into the building rather than detached as hitherto.
(Cumming-George 1933, 1934; Kesting 1978; Rennie 1978; SESA:98)
Submitted and entry for the Competition for the new Prime Minister's Residence - unplaced.
All truncated references not fully cited in 'References' are those of Joanna Walker's original text and cited in full in the 'Bibliography' entry of the Lexicon.
Books citing LOUW and LOUW
|Crump, Alan & Van Niekerk, Raymund. 1988. Public sculptures & reliefs Cape Town. Cape Town: Clifton Publications. pp 35|
|Cumming-George, L. 1933. Architecture in South Africa - Volume One. Cape Town: The Speciality Press of S.A. Ltd.. pp 93-94|
|Cumming-George, L. 1934. Architecture in South Africa - Volume Two. Cape Town: The Speciality Press of S.A. Ltd.. pp 98|
|Picton-Seymour, Désirée. 1989. Historical Buildings in South Africa. Cape Town: Struikhof Publishers. pp 22|